- Experience 5 Years
- Education Undergraduate
The Manager Engineering is responsible for directing and developing improvements and standardizations in products and design processes. Manages, monitors and tracks R&D projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directs department activities, through subordinates, to design new products, modify existing designs, improve production techniques, and develop test procedures.
- Confers with management, production, and marketing staff to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, and customer demand for new and existing products.
- Forecasts operating costs of department and directs preparation of budget requests.
- Directs personnel activities of department, such as recruitment, hiring, performance evaluations, and salary adjustments.
- Develops and implements staffing plans, budget proposals, and equipment requirements consistent with anticipated workloads.
- Reviews product designs for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, and customer requirements/specifications.
- Monitors the status of engineering projects and takes action as necessary to resolve issues; communicates status changes to appropriate departments within the company.
- Conducts activities in a safe and health manner and encourages staff to act proactively with regard to themselves, the safety of the manufacturing organization, and the environment. Takes actions necessary to stop work when an unsafe condition or action is identified.
- Ensures regular, on-going communication takes place throughout the engineering operation to communicate daily operations activities.
PROFILE LEVEL DESCRIPTION
- Manages professional employees and/or supervisors; may manage technical/business support or production/operation staff.
- Provides technical guidance to employees, colleagues and/or customers.
- Adapts departmental plans and priorities to address resource and operational challenges. – Decisions are guided by policies, procedures and business plans.
Provides formal supervision to professional employees and/or supervisors. Provides technical guidance to employees, colleagues, and/or customers. Approves subordinate’s recommendations for staff recruitment, selection, promotion, advancement, corrective action and termination. Effectively recommends same for direct reports to next level management for review and approval. Plans and monitors appropriate staffing levels and utilization of labor, including overtime. Prepares and delivers performance appraisal for staff. Mentors and coaches team members to further develop competencies. Leads by example and models behaviors that are consistent with the company’s values.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
Bachelors degree required.
Graduate degree preferred.
7 to 10 years of experience required.
Or equivalent combination of education and experience.