Career Level Other
Experience 5 Years
The Mechanical Engineer position is responsible for designing products from beginning-concept into the final market place. They begin by analyzing early industrial design concepts (or competitive literature/products) and assess possible manufacturing challenges and costs. They work closely with other company team members such as Electronic Engineers, Process Engineers, CNC Programmers, Purchasing and Planning to get the product and product timeline defined. From there, they create 3D CAD models as well as further written specifications and drawings. The Mechanical Engineer has a hands-on approach in building and testing early prototypes as well as guiding final production through manufacturing facilities (local or abroad). Also, they provide written final specifications for sales and marketing distribution as well as initial instructions and diagrams for final customer use. They perform a wide variety of tasks to support the research and development department including regular product trouble-shooting and investigation.
- Relies on Mechanical Engineering experience and judgment to help plan and accomplish product goals.
- Applies CAD and CNC concepts, practices, and procedures as it pertains to design, execution and delivery of products.
- Works closely and effectively communicates (written and verbal) with other team members in determining product needs. Discusses design, method of manufacture, method of test, possible suppliers, CAD requirements and other procedures with team members to coordinate best product delivery. Once needs are defined, works independently in support team goals and maintains tight project schedule.
- Reviews project instructions, specifications, and blueprints to ascertain test specifications, procedures, objectives. Devises test for mechanical strength, life expectancy and/or fit expectations to meet product needs or for product trouble-shooting. Analyzes test results in relationship to design specifications or possible changes to products.
- Confer with technicians and submit reports of test results to Engineering Department and recommend design or material changes.
- Calculate required capacities for equipment of proposed systems in order to obtain specified performance.
- Effectively communicates product, components and/or tooling requirements with foreign and domestic suppliers through written instruction, test procedures and CAD drawings.
- Provide CAD drawings and product specifications for product manufacturing.
- Fabricate and assemble new or modified products for the commercial industry. Includes using 3D printers to fabricate prototype parts.
- Design, document and fabricate fixtures and jigs to aid product manufacture.
- Provide written proposals and justifications for improving product performance.
- Provide or suggest sources for new products/components.
- Set-up and conduct tests of units (or components) under operational conditions. Observe and record test results. Generates formal test reporting for engineering approval.
- Must be able to accurately utilize measurement devices such as vernier calipers, vernier micrometers, scales, and electronic multimeters during tests.
- Provide formal evaluations of 1st off-tool samples or 1st product/component receivables for company approval.
- Provide written ECO packages to drive products and product changes for company approval.
- Provide written and resource data into the company’s ISO-driven PLM system.
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred
Other Engineering Bachelor’s Degrees may be applicable with appropriate mechanical design experience
Minimum 5 years’ of related experience within a manufacturing environment
Other Engineering degrees require a minimum of 7 years of related mechanical design experience within a manufacturing environment
Minimum of 5 years’ of sheet metal fabrication experience required
- Proficient with Microsoft Windows and Office Software (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook).
- Proficient with PLM software is preferred.
- Proficient with Solidworks 3D CAD preferred.
- Proficiency in other 3D CAD packages may apply.
- Proficient with Solidworks Simulation is preferred. Proficiency in other simulation packages may apply.
- Knowledge in Draftsight 2D CAD (or AutoCAD) is a plus.
- Knowledge in PhotoView 360 rendering package is a plus.
- Knowledge in Adobe Acrobat and Illustrator is a plus.
- Knowledge in basic digital photography, video and editing is a plus.
- Knowledge in CNC Programming and programming packages is a plus.
- Proficient with 3D Printers.
- Proficient in file translations required between programs and /or operating systems.
- Requires experience with manufacturing processes related to sheet-metal and stamping.
- Requires basic skill with hand-tool utilization including wrenches, screwdrivers, drills and metal shears.
- Must be proficient with calibrated measuring devices including vernier caliper, micrometers and electronic multimeters.
- Due to the amount of written communication, clear writing skills must be demonstrated.
- Must be able to travel to our Ennis, Texas facility occasionally.
Normal office setting