Setting Expectations for Working with a Debt Collection Agency

January 1, 2023

In general, the debt collection industry suffers from a poor reputation. And the idea that a consumer in debt could describe their experiences working with a debt collection agency as positive is strange tomany people. Closing the Books host Tyler Kern spoke with Brian Eggert, Marketing Specialist at IC System about these various perceptions and how to best set expectations when working with a debt collection company.

Eggert began working at IC System in 2001 as a part-time debt collector to help pay for college. Since then, he has moved through a variety of positions leading to a depth of experience and understanding of the debt collection industry that few people have. His experience includes working in client services, RFP writing, and marketing with involvement in every department from operations to accounting to the mailroom. At present, he is a marketing generalist writing company content including websitecopy, blogs, social media postings, and internal business communications.

The conversation kicked off with a look into the debt collection industry prior to the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Although IC System has a proven path of ethical collecting, “the collection industry(as a whole)used to be a littlewild and less regulatedprior to the arrival of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau,” said Eggert.

Eggert spoke about his company’s focus on creating a positive consumer experience, one of the many reasons for its success. IC System surveys approximately 15,000 consumers/month and averages a 95% success rate in consumers being happy with how their issue was resolved. Not only is having such a high success rate a rarity within the industry, but the company takes it one step further by investigating the other 5% to find out what did not go well.

This intriguing look into the debt collection industry continues to examine how IC System has evolved to meet evolving rules and regulations, measures call quality, addresses myths of working with an agency, benefits of outsourcing debt collections, recovery rates, and much more.

The bottom line at IC System, they are prepared to help consumers resolve financial issues and assist clients in recovering lost business. “We are not just there to collect money,” said Eggert.

IC System has over 85 years of experience in medical and dental debt collection, rent recovery and other business collections. For more information, visit https://www.icsystem.com/.

Recent Episodes

Ace Gardner and Jacob Lewis discuss NIL Deals and Transfer Portals
View episode

College sports is undergoing a significant transformation with the advent of Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) rights and the increasing prevalence of transfer portals. These changes are reshaping how college staff operate, presenting both opportunities and challenges. With the rise of NIL deals and transfer portals, understanding the behind-the-scenes impact on college coaching staff…

sales process automation
View episode

Amid the rapid pace of technological advancements, sales processes are undergoing significant changes. Companies are increasingly pressured to enhance efficiency, accuracy, and customer satisfaction. According to Forrester’s 2023 report, a staggering 90% of global business buyers experienced stalled purchasing processes due to economic headwinds, emphasizing the importance of price transparency and the need for…

thaly palanisamy as new president
View episode

Stenograph, LLC is pleased to announce Thaly Palanisamy as president. In his role, Mr. Palanisamy will guide Stenograph in executing its strategic vision: Empowering the capture, preservation, and accessibility of verbatim records. “Thaly’s leadership skills, combined with the Stenograph strategy deployed by our talented team, will ensure success as we charter our course for the…